Hey everyone! How’s your Super Bowl Sunday going?
We had a morning brunch over at our friend Katie’s house…muffins, eggs, LOTS of coffee, and some prayer time. A good way to start the morning. 🙂
Yesterday afternoon I threw together a big pot of Buffalo Chicken Chili, and in just a bit the beer bread will be going in the oven for some game time eats later on! What did you make at your place? Usually I like to go the “snacky” route, but I was just feeling something warm and hearty this year…it’s been SO cold lately. But it had to be “buffalo” at the husband’s request. He lives for wings…I thought one day he might grow out of it, but considering my Dad still loves em I don’t think there’s much hope for that.
As promised I have a sweaty, awesome HIIT workout to share with you!
You can do this workout as part of your HIIT IT week of the Finish February Fit Challenge, you put it in your workout archives for later.
I’m planning on doing it at least once this week, and hubby says he’s in too…looks like it’ll be a date!
All the “how to” for the workout is below, but if you have any questions leave them in the comments below and I’ll get back to you! Have fun!
Warm up – do a 5 minute dynamic warm up of jogging, jumping jacks, jump rope, and some light stretching before you begin.
* Set a timer for 30 rounds of 40 seconds hard/20 seconds rest. Each exercise in each round will be done for the 40sec, and then you will rest the 20 sec.
The workout will take you 30 minutes total, not including warm up and cool down.
– Light weights
– Chair or bench for tricep dips (couch works too)
– Something to keep time, there are some great free interval timers out there! I love this one that I have on my IPAD from Deltaworks.
Round 1: (cardio)
1. High Knees
3. Mtn Climbers/Pushups (5 each) – do 5 mtn climbers, then 5 pushups, etc.
4 . Squat Jump & Twist – squat down, jump up in the air and twist 180 degrees, land, squat, and twist again
5. High Plank Jacks – in high plank jump your feet out and in like a jumping jack
Round 2: (strength)
1.Plie & upright row – standing feet wider than shoulder width apart, toes turned slightly outwards, holding two weights in front of you. Sink down into a plie squat, push back up to start, and lift the weights up to your collar bone, leading with your elbows.
2. Reverse lunge & press (L) – Stand up straight holding two weights at your sides. Step your right foot backwards and drop into a reverse lunge. Step back up to the start, and press the weights overhead. Repeat.
3. DB row – Bending your legs, keeping your back straight, and holding weights in each hand, pull the weights up to your chest, leading with your elbows. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as you perform the row.
4. Reverse lunge & curl (R) – Stand up straight holding two weights at your sides. Step backwards with your left leg into a reverse lunge, holding steady in the downward lunge position, perform a bicep curl, then return to the start.
5. Skullcrusher & bridge – Lying on the ground on your back, hold two dumbbells overhead palms facing in. Without moving your upper arm, drop the dumbbells slowly down like hammers close to your ears. Return to the start, and then press through your heels to push your booty into a glute bridge position. Lower and repeat.
Round 3: (bodyweight)
2. Tricep Dips
3. High Plank Hold
4. Up & Down Plank – starting in high plank, using just your arms walk down into low plank, and then back up to high, etc.
5. Low Plank Hold
*Repeat Round 1
Low Pushup Hold
*during this round you will be doing high knees for the 40 sec interval, and when the 20 sec interval begins you will drop immediately to pushup position, and lower your body until your chest is just above the floor…and hold…for the remainder of the 20 seconds. When the next 40 sec interval starts hop right back up and into high knees…yep, no resting. 🙂 That’s why it’s the bonus round. DIG!
Also, to give you some other workout ideas for your HIIT IT week here are some links! I have tried many of these workouts, and they’ve made the “I’d do this workout again” cut…which means they are in my workout notebook. So, enjoy!
Happy Super Bowl Sunday, and Happy HIIT week!
Go Seattle! (the hubby informed me we are cheering for the Seahawks)